Venison With Mushroom Gravy
From the Brenham Kitchen
- 3 lbs venison stew meat
- 3 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 - 2 cups flour
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms (washed and sliced) or 14 oz canned
- 1 large onion
- 2 bay leaves
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- salt and pepper
To prepare this on the stove top in the kitchen, we use a cast iron stew pot with a lid.
It can also be prepared in a dutch oven on coals.
- 1: Salt and pepper the stew meat
- 2: Coat the meat with flour by any means that you choose. We
either dredge it in a bowl of flour, or shake it with the flour in
a quart or gallon sized plastic freezer bag.
- 3: Chop the onion
- 4: Heat some olive oil in a heavy pan
- 5: Saute the onion until it is soft and then remove from the
- 6: Brown the meat in the same pan, adding oil when needed
- 7: When all of the meat is browned, add the onion, bay leaves
and broth and bring to a boil
Be sure to always add cool liquid slowly to a hot cast iron pan to
avoid warping or cracking.
- 8: Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the meat is
tender (1 - 11/2 hours)
The gravy will form and thicken quickly so check it often, stirring
to the bottom to prevent sticking and burning. Add liquid if
needed to maintain desired consistency.
- 9: Once the meat is tender, stir in the sherry and mushrooms
and simmer uncovered another 10 minutes or so
Serve over noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. One of our favorites
is garlic mashed potatoes (see the recipe