- 8 to 12 oz of small pre-cooked salad shrimp
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1-16 oz pkg frozen cut okra
- 1 stalk celery (diced)
- 1 1/3 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup bell pepper (diced)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
- salt to taste
NOTE: If you like it a
little spicy, add no salt, but season to taste with the Chachere's
(the Creole Seasoning contains salt).
- 1: Combine all ingredients in a pot, except the shrimp, and bring to a
- 2: Reduce the heat, cover and simmer just at the boiling point
for approx 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally
I like to cook the vegetables to pieces so
that the gumbo has the consistency
of a very thick, chunky soup.
- 3: Adjust the seasoning.
- 4: Remove from heat and stir in the pre-cooked shrimp.
Serve as is, as a stand alone dish, ladle over rice, or mix in
pre-cooked rice when you add the shrimp.
For a more
complex seafood gumbo, cut back on the shrimp and add canned clams
and crab meat. If you use fresh, uncooked
, add it to the gumbo a few minutes before
removing from the heat so that it cooks through.
This dish can be made as chicken
by using diced chicken meat. If added raw, it
should be put in approx. a half an hour before the gumbo is
finished cooking. It's also good "vegetarian" style, just leave out
For recipes using Chachere's Creole Seasonings visit their