Roast of Feral Hog
A recipe from the Brenham kitchen.
- 2-3 lb feral pork roast (pen raised hogs aint the same)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- dried cilantro flakes
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- black Pepper
- 1 - cup Beef broth
- mild picante sauce
- 1: Get Dave (or maybe one of your own sons or other relation)
to hunt, kill, and butcher a nice, lean young feral hog.
- 2: Talk him out of a 2 or 3 lb roast.
- 3: Heat the olive oil in a cast iron pan.
- 4: Sear roast on all sides until well browned and the kitchen
smells real good.
- 5: Sprinkle the seasonings on both sides until you think it's
- 6: Pour beef broth into the pot and smear picante sauce on the
top of the roast.
- 7: Place uncovered pot in a 325 degree oven for 2 - 21/2 hrs,
(don't forget to put the meat in the pot) core temperature should
be 170 - 180 degrees.
Note: Check it now and then so it don't burn. The broth should be
gone when it's done and the picante´ will be dark red but not
blackened. If the broth runs out before it's ready, just add a
little ... but not too much, we're doing roast here, not soup!
Slice thin and serve it up hot with mashed potatoes, collard greens
and ice tea.
Should be enough for you and your sweetie, and maybe one or two
others ....... if they don't eat too much.