Kosher Style Dill Pickles
From the kitchen of Janet Pomykal (Grandma Janet)
- vinegar (5% acidity)
- pickling salt
- fresh heads of dill
- dried, whole, hot red peppers
- powdered alum
- garlic cloves
- qt size canning jars, rings, and flats
- 1: Prepare cucumbers (wash and then slice if spears or
hamburger dills are desired).
- 2: Prepare the pickling brine by combining and heating to a
1 cup pickling salt
3 qt water
1 qt vinegar
- 3: Sterilize the jars
- 4: Pack into each hot,
1/8 tsp powdered alum
1 clove garlic
1 hot red pepper
1 large or 2 small heads of dill
Caution: To prevent cracking, avoid pouring
extremely hot liquid into cold jars or cold liquid into extremely
- 4: Fill jars to 1/8 in of top with hot pickling brine.
- 5: Seal with flats and rings.
- 6: Process in water bath canner for 5 minutes at 180
Pickles should be ready to eat in 10 days to 2 weeks.